North Somerset Bird of Prey Centre
Smallway Leisure Park
Zoo License: 2021/38241
For alll bookings, enquires and injured wildlife please email email@example.com
HOW TO CONTACT US
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will get back to you as quickly as possible. Please be patient when waiting for replies, we have over 150 animals whos care is our number 1 priority!
Please see our 'News & Updates' section for ways to support us with our work, for latest Covid-19 and Avian Influenza restrictions and how your bookings made be effected.
AVIAN INFLUENZA LATEST
We have set up a fundraiser to help raise funds to enable us to cover the bird of prey centre with a net to keep out any potentially infected wild birds.
Fundraising link: www.paypal.me/nsbopc
We would appreciate any donation, no matter how large or small. Everything we receive really will make a massive difference.
In 2022, there was more than 5x as many outbreaks of Avian Influenza (Bird flu) as there were in the whole of 2021 and scientists suggest that this is the worst outbreak of the disease ever seen in the UK. In previous years, bird flu tended to be seasonal, appearing occasionally over the winter period but this year cases have continued to remain high even throughout the summer. This has sadly resulted in birds at zoos and rescue centres having to be culled.
There have been several outbreaks in the area, the nearest less than 20 miles away! With this in mind, we plan to erect a large net over the whole of the centre to stop any wild birds from entering as it seems infected wild birds are the main way in which the virus is being transmitted. This lethal virus is unlikely to ever go away and it is vital we do everything we can to protect our bird collection from avian influenza. We are home to several threatened and endangered birds of prey which are of great conservational concern.
After years of multiple closures and lockdowns we are not in a position financially to absorb these costs, especially with the winter months coming up when the birds and animals eat more, require more heating, bedding and supplementary lighting, so we are hoping our wonderful visitors and followers will be able to help us raise these urgent funds. We have added up the cost of materials and (excluding labour and reusing materials we already have on site) we need to raise £1,650. If you can help, in any small way, it will make a huge difference and help us protect the beautiful birds of prey that call NSBOPC their home.
A sincere thank you from all our staff and feathered friends
What safety measures are in place?
- We have several additional measures in place for the safety of our animals, staff and visitors. Depending on the guidelines at your time of visit, you may be asked to disinfect your footwear on arrival to reduce the risk of transmission of Avian Influenza to our feathered team.
Are you still operating and how do I make a booking?
- Yes we are still running all of our Experience Days, Outreach visits and Open Days. These are vital in order for us to raise funds to care for our charges at the highest level. Please email email@example.com to make a booking or enquiry. All bookings must be made via email so we can ensure you have all the relevant information to hand before you visit. Our team are working around the clock to reply to email enquiries as quickly as possible but we please ask that you remain patient.
Can I come to your visitors centre?
We are not currently open for general admission - only our pre booked Experience Days. We are running our Open Days on selected dates throughout the year. Please check out our Facebook page and 'Open Days' section of this website for the latest information.
Do I need to arrive early?
- You will be asked to wait outside our gates and a member of staff will greet you at your designated start time. As per our T's & C's, we can not accomodate late arrivals on any of our Experience Days so please make sure you arrive in plenty of time. As always, a 7 day cancellation and rescheduling policy applies to all bookings.
Can I still bring someone with me?
- Yes. Spectators are still welcome to join us on our Experience Days just as they were before. Please see the 'Visitors Information' section for more information regarding spectators.
Will there be other people in our group?
- All Experience Days are held in groups outdoors. Please contact us directly for a quote on a Private Experience Day.
How can we help and support your work?
- It's been a tough few years for all businesses but especially for zoos that have large overheads which can't be cut (Food, veterinary care, heating, lighting, staffing, to name but a few) and now we have high cases of Avain Influenza to contend with!
Donations of fruit and vegetables are needed regularly to help keep the animals well fed so please do feel free to bring some along with you when you visit, the animals will really appreciate it! We can also accept dog and cat food, rodent food, rabbit food, hay, nuts and ferret food. Just drop us a message if you think you may have something of use.
We have an Amazon Wish List for items we really need from food and supplements, building and maintenance equipment, to medical supplies and enrichment items for the animals. Every gift really does make a big difference! https://www.amazon.co.uk/.../29QN2H5LG.../ref=cm_wl_huc_view
You can also send a donation by PayPal to www.paypal.me/nsbopc
100% of donations go towards the care of the animals.
OUR RESCUE WORK
As a non for profit organisation we really rely on help from the kind public to help us with our rescue and rehabilitation work. Since 2015 setting up our animal hospital, we have managed to help 76 injured wild birds of prey and other neglected animals and this number is ever growing. It simply would not be possible without your help and support so thank you.
If you would like to help us help animals in need there are many ways in which you can;
- Donations allow us to offer medical help to animals that needs it. It costs us, on average, £174 to treat an animal in our hospital and we receive no government funding or grants towards this https://www.paypal.me/nsbopc
- Book an Experience day to meet our birds of prey up close. Your money goes straight back into the centre to allow us to care for more sick and injured wildlife and abandoned exotic pets.
- Amazon wish list. We have compiled a list of useful items we need. Everything from medical supplies and cleaning equipment to enrichment and toys for the animals in our care. Starting from just a few pounds, everything, no matter how small, really does make a big difference https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/wishlist/29QN…/ref=cm_wl_huc_view
- Find us on social media. Simply liking and sharing our posts helps spread the word about what we do and helps us educate people on the wildlife around us. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!